Friday, June 5, 2009

Recent Project: The Weider Olympic Weight Bench

Sears had a great sale recently on this olympic weight bench from Joe Weider, so I decided to splurge a little bit on myself:



Unfortunately, the box (although banded) contained two identical uprights, which come pre-drilled in order to be assembled and aren't supposed to be interchangeable. You can see how these two posts have the holes drilled at exactly the same spots:

This is how they are supposed to look:
Notice the holes on the right one--different setting for them on this correct upright from Sears. Luckily, they serviced my incorrect order swiftly and with no fuss at all. I returned the post later that day after I bought it, they recognized the problem, and simply went into the back stock area, opened another seperate but equal weight bench box, and exchanged the post.
I also found a sale on 300 lbs of olympic weights at Sports Authority, plus a good, sturdy olympic bar:


With preacher curl attachment:


Loaded up and ready to go!


It's a lot like an old glove that still fits after 30 years. I've benched all of my life since I was 12, and it has always been a comfortable ritual. Good for the bones, which contributes greatly to overall health, toning/strength enhancements to the muscle groups involved, and development of balance skills due to the nature of free weights.

To say nothing of the mental therapeutic benefits.

No comments: